Loughinisland UVF Massacre – 18th June 1994

Loughinisland Massacre

Also known as The World Cup Massacre

victims collage.jpg


– Disclaimer –

The views and opinions expressed in this blog post are soley intended to educate and provide background information to those interested in the Troubles of Northern Ireland. They in no way reflect my own opinions and I take no responsibility for any inaccuracies or factual errors.


The Loughinisland massacre took place on 18 June 1994 in the small village of Loughinisland, County Down, Northern Ireland. Members of the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF), a loyalist paramilitary group, burst into a pub with assault rifles and fired on the customers , killing six civilians and wounding five. The pub was targeted because it was frequented mainly by Catholics,  and was crowded with people watching the Republic of Ireland team playing in the 1994 FIFA World Cup.

1994 FIFA World Cup logo.svg

It is thus sometimes called the World Cup massacre.

The attack was claimed as retaliation for the killing of three UVF members by the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA).

See Trevor ( Kingso) King

Allegations persist that police (Royal Ulster Constabulary) double agents or informers were linked to the massacre and that police protected those informers by destroying evidence and failing to carry out a proper investigation.

At the request of the victims’ families, the Police Ombudsman investigated the police. The Ombudsman concluded that there were major failings in the police investigation, but no evidence that police colluded with the UVF.

However, the Ombudsman did not investigate the role of informers and the report was branded a whitewash. Ombudsman investigators demanded to be disassociated from the report because their original findings “were dramatically altered without reason”, and they believed key intelligence had been deliberately withheld from them.

This led to the report being quashed, the Ombudsman being replaced and a new inquiry ordered.  In June 2016, a new Police Ombudsman report was released indicating that there had been “collusion” between the police and the UVF, but that the police had no advance knowledge of the attack.

Loughinisland massacre
Loughinisland - geograph.org.uk - 199475.jpg

Location The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down, Northern Ireland
Coordinates 54°20′17″N 5°49′30″W / 54.33806°N 5.82500°W / 54.33806; -5.82500Coordinates: 54°20′17″N 5°49′30″W / 54.33806°N 5.82500°W / 54.33806; -5.82500
Date 18 June 1994
10:10pm (GMT)
Attack type
Mass shooting
Weapons Assault rifles
Deaths 6 civilians
Non-fatal injuries
5 civilians
Perpetrator Ulster Volunteer Force




The UVF’s claimed goal was to combat Irish republicanism – particularly the Provisional IRA – and maintain Northern Ireland‘s status as part of the United Kingdom.

However, most of its victims were Irish Catholic civilians, who were often killed at random.  Whenever it claimed responsibility for attacks, the UVF usually claimed that those targeted were IRA members or were helping the IRA. Other times, attacks on Catholic civilians were claimed as “retaliation” for IRA actions, since the IRA draws almost all its support from the Catholic population.

Since the mid-1960s, the UVF had carried out many gun and bomb attacks on Catholic-owned pubs and there had been many incidents of collusion between the UVF and members of the state security forces. During the early 1990s, loyalists drastically increased their attacks on Catholics and Irish nationalists and – for the first time since the conflict began – were responsible for more deaths than republicans or the security forces.

Trevor King UVF Mural

Mural for Trevor King & Other UVF Members

On 16 June 1994, the Irish National Liberation Army (INLA) shot dead three UVF members – Trevor King, Colin Craig and David Hamilton – on the Shankill Road in Belfast. The following day, the UVF launched two ‘retaliatory’ attacks. In the first, UVF members shot dead a Catholic civilian taxi driver in Carrickfergus. In the second, they shot dead two Protestant civilians in Newtownabbey, whom they believed were Catholics.

The Loughinisland shootings, a day later, are believed to have been further retaliation.

See Trevor ( Kingso) King

Attack on The Heights Bar

The pub in 2009

On the evening of 18 June 1994, about 24 people  were gathered in The Heights bar and lounge watching the Republic of Ireland vs Italy in the World Cup.

At 10:10pm, two UVF members wearing boiler suits and balaclavas walked into the bar and opened fire on the crowd with assault rifles, spraying the small room with more than sixty bullets.

Six men were killed outright,  and five other people were wounded. Witnesses said the gunmen then ran to a getaway car, “laughing”.

One described:

“bodies … lying piled on top of each other on the floor”.

The dead were Adrian Rogan (34), Malcolm Jenkinson (52), Barney Greene (87), Daniel McCreanor (59), Patrick O’Hare (35) and Eamon Byrne (39), all Catholic civilians. O’Hare was the brother-in-law of Eamon Byrne and Greene was one of the oldest people to be killed during the Troubles.




18 June 1994

Adrian Rogan   (34)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Shot, during gun attack, on The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down.


18 June 1994

Malcolm Jenkinson  (52)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Shot, during gun attack, on The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down.


18 June 1994

Barney Greene   (87)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Shot, during gun attack, on The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down.


18 June 1994

Daniel McCreanor  (59)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Shot, during gun attack, on The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down.


18 June 1994

Patrick O’Hare   (35)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Shot, during gun attack, on The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down.


18 June 1994

Eamon Byrne   (39)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Shot, during gun attack, on The Heights Bar, Loughinisland, County Down.



The UVF claimed responsibility within hours of the attack. It claimed that an Irish republican meeting was being held in the pub and that the shooting was retaliation for the INLA attack.

However, police said there is no evidence that The Heights Bar had any links to republican paramilitary activity. Journalist Peter Taylor suggested in his book Loyalists that it was not entirely certain that the UVF Brigade Staff (Belfast leadership) had sanctioned the attack, and that it was instead carried out by a local UVF unit. In the event of an “enemy” attack, these UVF units were given freedom to retaliate against what they deemed to be appropriate targets.

An unnamed UVF member told Taylor that the UVF believed IRA members would be in the pub that evening.  The Brigade Staff later assured Progressive Unionist Party (PUP) leader David Ervine that there would never again be another attack such as Loughinisland.

The attack received international media coverage and was widely condemned. Among those who sent messages of sympathy were Pope John Paul II, Queen Elizabeth II and US President Bill Clinton. Local Protestant families visited their wounded neighbours in hospital, expressing their shock and disgust.

Provisional IRA response

The massacre ultimately led to a temporary return to tit-for-tat violence. The following month, the IRA shot dead three high-ranking members of the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), the other main loyalist paramilitary group alongside the UVF. It is claimed this was retaliation for the Loughinisland massacre.

The IRA stated that the men were directing the UDA’s campaign of violence against Catholics.

Ray Smallwoods

On 11 July the IRA shot dead Ray Smallwoods, a member of the UDA’s Inner Council and spokesman for its political wing, the Ulster Democratic Party. Six days later, UDA gunmen tried to repeat the Loughinisland massacre when they attacked the Hawthorn Inn at nearby Annaclone.

About 40 people were inside watching the football World Cup final. The pub’s thick doors had been locked and so the gunmen instead fired through the windows, wounding seven people.

Bratty commemorated with other South Belfast UDA members on a Sandy Row plaque

On 31 July, the IRA shot dead UDA commander Joe Bratty and his right-hand man Raymond Elder.

Investigation and campaign by victims’ families

The morning after the attack, the getaway car—a red Triumph Acclaim—was found abandoned in a field near Crossgar.

Sa 58-JH01.jpg

On 4 August, one of the vz. 58 rifles used in the attack was found hidden at a bridge near Saintfield along with a holdall containing boiler suits, balaclavas, gloves, three handguns and ammunition.

In 2006, following claims that “an RUC agent” had supplied the getaway car to the gunmen, the victims’ families lodged an official complaint about the investigation with the Police Ombudsman. The complaint included allegations “that the investigation had not been efficiently or properly carried out; no earnest effort was made to identify those responsible; and there were suspicions of state collusion in the murders”.

It was alleged that police agents or informers within the UVF were linked to the attack, and that the police’s investigation was hindered by its desire to protect those informers. The victims’ families also alleged that the police had failed to keep in contact with them about the investigation, even about significant developments.

It was revealed that the police had destroyed key evidence and documents. The car had been disposed of in April 1995, ten months into the investigation.

In 1998, police documents related to the investigation were destroyed at Gough Barracks RUC station, allegedly because of fears they were contaminated by asbestos. It is believed they included the original notes, made during interviews of suspects in 1994 and 1995.

A hair follicle had been recovered from the car but nobody had yet been charged, while the other items (balaclavas, gloves, etc.) had not been subjected to new tests made possible by advances in forensic science.

It was alleged that the rifle used in the attack had been part of a shipment smuggled into Northern Ireland for loyalists by British agent   Brian Nelson.



See Brian Nelson

A key eyewitness claimed she gave police a description of the getaway driver within hours of the massacre, but that police failed to record important information she gave them and never asked her to identify suspects. A serving policeman later gave the woman’s personal details to a relative of the suspected getaway driver. Police then visited her and advised her to increase her security for fear she could be shot.


The Office of the Police Ombudsman, which investigated the police over the massacre

In 2008 it was revealed that, since the shootings, up to 20 people had been arrested for questioning but none had ever been charged.

In January 2010 a reserve Police Service of Northern Ireland officer (formerly an RUC officer) was arrested by detectives from the Police Ombudsman’s Office and questioned over “perverting the course of justice” and “aiding the killers’ escape”.

Later that year, the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) concluded there wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute. In reply, the Ombudsman’s Office said it would consider disciplinary action against the officer.

Police Ombudsman’s report and aftermath

In September 2009 it was revealed that a Police Ombudsman’s report on the killings was to be published on 15 September.

At the same time, some details of the report were made known. Police sources said the report would expose the role of four RUC informers in “ordering or organising” the attack. The report was also said to highlight a series of major failings in the police investigation – including that not enough effort was made to identify those responsible, that police failed to speak to people of interest, that key evidence was destroyed and that there was poor record management.

However, shortly after these revelations, the Ombudsman postponed publication of the report as “new evidence” had emerged.

The Ombudsman’s report was finally published on 24 June 2011. It said that the police investigation had lacked “diligence, focus and leadership”; that there were failings in record management; that significant lines of enquiry were not identified; and that police failed to communicate effectively with the victims’ families.

However, it said that there was “insufficient evidence of collusion” and “no evidence that police could have prevented the attack”.

Margaret ritchie.jpg

Margaret Ritchie

The report was harshly criticized for not investigating the role of RUC informers inside the UVF. Social Democratic and Labour Party leader Margaret Ritchie said the findings were flawed and contrary “to a mountain of evidence of collusion”. She added: “It completely lets down the victims’ families and the wider community. Al Hutchinson paints a picture of an incompetent keystone cops type of police force when the reality was that the RUC and Special Branch were rotten to the core”.

Niall Murphy, the solicitor for the victims’ relatives, described the report’s findings as “timid, mild and meek”. He added: “The ombudsman has performed factual gymnastics to ensure there was no evidence of collusion in his conclusion”. The relatives stated that they believe the report proves police colluded with those involved and made “no real attempt to catch the killers”.

After the report’s publication, there were calls for Al Hutchinson to resign, and the victims’ families began a High Court challenge to have the report’s findings quashed.

In September 2011, the Criminal Justice Inspectorate (CJI) criticized Hutchinson and recommended that the Ombudsman’s Office be suspended from investigating historic murders because its independence had been compromised. CJI inspectors found “major inconsistencies” in the Ombudsman’s report. Ombudsman investigators had demanded to be disassociated from the report because their original findings “were dramatically altered without reason”. Ombudsman investigators also believed that key intelligence had been deliberately withheld from them.

In 2012, the Belfast High Court quashed the report’s findings and Hutchinson was replaced by Michael Maguire, who ordered a new inquiry into the massacre.

Maguire, after investigating the killings, stated with regard to the RUC police force colluding with the murderers: “I have no hesitation in unambiguously determining that collusion is a significant feature of the Loughinisland murders.” He said the VZ58 rifle used in the attack was part of a shipment of weapons brought by loyalist paramilitaries into Northern Ireland late 1987 or early 1988.

Responding to Mafuire’s report, Foreign Minister Flanagan said : “The Ombudsman’s findings are deeply disturbing – in particular his determination that ‘collusion is a significant feature of the Loughinisland murders.


On the 18th anniversary of the attack, the Republic of Ireland football team again played Italy – this time in the Euro 2012 at Poznań, Poland. The Irish team wore black armbands during the match, to commemorate those killed while watching the same teams playing 18 years before. The idea was proposed by the Football Association of Ireland (FAI) and backed by UEFA. Some prominent loyalists berated the move. South Belfast UDA brigadier Jackie McDonald said that it was “bringing politics into sport” and would lead to “dire repercussions” for football.

Another leading loyalist, Winston Churchill Rea, also raised concerns about the tribute. However, the victims’ families fully supported the gesture.

On 29 April 2014, ESPN, as part of their 30 for 30 series, broadcast a documentary about the shootings, named “Ceasefire Massacre”.


ESPN – 30 For 30 – Soccer Stories – Ceasefire Massacre


See Trevor ( Kingso) King

See UVF Page


3 thoughts on “Loughinisland UVF Massacre – 18th June 1994

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s