29th August – Deaths & Events in Northern Ireland Troubles

29th of  August

Key Events & Deaths on this day in Northern Ireland Troubles

Friday 29 August 1969

Following the visit to Northern Ireland by James Callaghan, then British Home Secretary, a Communiqué on behalf of the Northern Ireland and British governments was released. This communiqué provided an outline of the work that would be undertaken on a number of further reforms mainly in the area of local government administration, housing, and employment.

Sunday 29 August 1971

A Catholic man died 16 days after being shot by the British Army in Belfast.

Wednesday 29 August 1973

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) planted two bombs in Solihull, England and also planted an incendiary device in Harrod’s store in London.

Friday 29 August 1975

The Irish Republican Army (IRA) planted a booby-trapped time bomb in Kensington Church Street, London, and then gave a telephone warning. Roger Goad (40), who was a British Army officer in a bomb-disposal squad, was killed as he tried to defuse the device.

[Goad was posthumously awarded the George Cross.]

A member of the youth section of the IRA was shot dead by Loyalists in Belfast.

Eamon de Valera died at the age of 92.

Wednesday 29 August 1979

Margaret Thatcher, then British Prime Minister, paid a visit to Northern Ireland to hold discussions on security. In Rome it was announced that Pope John Paul II would not travel to Armagh during his forthcoming visit to Ireland on 29 September 1979.

Tuesday 29 August 1989

Claims of Collusion between Loyalists and Security Forces

The Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF) claimed that they had received security force files on Irish Republican Army (IRA) suspects. It was claimed that the death of Loughlin Maginn on 25 August 1989 was due to information supplied to the UFF by members of the security forces.

[These claims revived accusations of security force collusion with Loyalist paramilitaries.]

Thursday 29 August 1991

Sinn Féin (SF) won a by-election for a seat on Belfast City Council. This victory brought the party’s representation to 9 members making it the second-largest party in the council.

Monday 29 August 1994

Gerry Adams, then President of Sinn Féin (SF), said that he had met the Army Council of the Irish Republican Army (IRA). He indicated that he told the Council that he believed that the conditions existed for moving the peace process forward.

Friday 29 August 1997

Announcement that SF Could Enter Talks

Marjorie (Mo) Mowlam, then Secretary of State for Northern Ireland, said that she “accepted the veracity” of the renewed Irish Republican Army (IRA) ceasefire and would therefore be inviting Sinn Féin (SF) to attend the multi-party talks at Stormont, Belfast, on 15 September 1997.

The Ulster Unionist Party (UUP) said that it would attend the talks but would not sit at the same table as SF. Tony Blair, then British Prime Minister, and Bertie Ahern, then Taoiseach (Irish Prime Minister), issued a joint appeal to all Unionists to joint the multi-party talks on 15 September 1997.

Sunday 29 August 1999

A British army bomb disposal unit defused a pipe-bomb found near a Catholic church in County Antrim. The bomb had been left in the graveyard of St. Peter the Rock, on the Rock Road in Lisburn. The attack was carried out by Loyalist paramilitaries.

Loyalists also carried out a paramilitary ‘punishment’ shooting on a man in Antrim, and were also responsible for two beatings in east Belfast and Glengormley.

A Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) clubhouse in Ahoghill, County Antrim, was damaged in an arson attack. The IRA expelled two young men from the Ardoyne in north Belfast and the Short Strand in east Belfast. John Hume, then leader of the Social Democratic and Labour Party (SDLP), was taken into hospital in Austria for an operation on a perforated intestine.

Wednesday 29 August 2001

Loyalist paramilitaries carried out a pipe-bomb attack on the home of a Catholic family in Ballynahinch, County Down. Two devices exploded at the house shortly before 3.00am (0300BST); there were no injuries in the attack. The owner of the house blamed the Ulster Defence Association (UDA) for the attack.

The Red Hand Defenders (RHD), a cover name that has been used by members of the Ulster Defence Association (UDA), claimed responsibility for the attack.

[There were other attacks on Catholic families in the same street on 1 February 2001.]

Two pipe-bombs were discovered and defused in Ballycastle, County Antrim. The bombs were discovered close to where a car bomb had been left on 28 August 2001. The first device was found near the Marine Hotel and the second ‘pipe bomb’ was later found at the Boyd Arms public house in the Diamond area of the town.

Sean Farren, then Minister for Higher and Further Education, Training and Employment, said that there was clear evidence that the UDA ceasefire was in some areas “completely non-existent”. Speaking in the aftermath of the bombing attempt in Balllycastle, County Antrim, on 28 August 2001 he said that the British government must acknowledge the UDA ceasefire was not operating in some parts of the North and must take action against those behind the recent attacks.

A delegation from Sinn Féin led by Mitchel McLaughlin, then SF Chairman, held talks with Des Browne, then junior Northern Ireland minister, to discuss the problems still facing the peace process. Browne later said that the British government was keeping a close eye on Loyalist paramilitary ceasefires following recent bomb attacks. He said:

“the implications for those Loyalist groups engaged in these despicable acts … will be very serious”.

The Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) press office confirmed that two senior officers, thought to be from Special Branch, had travelled to Colombia to assist the investigation into the activities of the three Irishmen arrested on 13 August 2001.

Remembering all innocent victims of the Troubles

Today is the anniversary of the follow  people killed as a results of the conflict in Northern Ireland

To the innocent on the list – Your memory will live forever

– To  the Paramilitaries  –

“There are many things worth living for, a few things worth dying for, but nothing worth killing for.

5 People lost their lives on the 29th of  August between 1971 – 1982


29 August 1971
Ian Armstrong,   (33) nfNI
Status: British Army (BA),

Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
Shot while on British Army (BA) mobile patrol, near Crossmaglen, County Armagh


29 August 1975

James Templeton,   (15)

Status: Irish Republican Army Youth Section (IRAF),

Killed by: non-specific Loyalist group (LOY)
Shot from passing car, while standing outside Rose and Crown Bar, Ormeau Road, Belfast.


29 August 1975
Roger Goad,  (40) nfNIB
Status: British Army (BA),

Killed by: Irish Republican Army (IRA)
Attached to British police. Killed attempting to defuse bomb in shop, Church Street, Kensington, London.


29 August 1980
Frank McGrory,   (52)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Irish National Liberation Army (INLA)
Killed when detonated booby trap bomb, hidden in hedgerow, Carnagh, near Keady, County Armagh


29 August 1982
James Galway,   (33)

Status: Civilian (Civ),

Killed by: Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF)
Abducted somewhere in the Shankill area, Belfast. Found shot, on information supplied to the British authorities, buried at a building site, Fir Park, Broughshane, near Ballymena, County Antrim, on 24 November 1983.

Major Events in the Troubles

Main source CAIN Web Service

see: 30th August deaths in the Troubles


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s